Sunday, December 23, 2007

Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra, Ra Ra Ra Ra

.
I was on www.epinions.com yesterday and was reading lists of every one's best and worst holiday movies. I decided to give you a short list of movies that I like to see around the holidays and my least favorite Christmas movie ever. Besides I wanted to post a picture of the Leg Lamp.
.
The One Film That I Have To See Each Year:
.
"A Christmas Story" - Favorite part has to be the gang of coon dogs breaking into the kitchen and eating the entire Christmas Dinner, forcing the family to go out to a Chinese Restaurant.
Director Bob Clark directed "A Christmas Story", "Porky's" & "Porky's II" all in a span of 18 months. He never did anything near as funny or successful ever again. (BTW I do think that the Porky's movies are funny in that Guilty Pleasure kind of way.) Remember to watch TBS of December 24th for the 24 hour marathon of "A Christmas Story"
.
Other Favorites (in Alphabetical Order):
.
"Die Hard" - Great action picture and the movie debut of the amazing Alan Rickman. Movie filled with fun Christmas songs is a bonus.
.
"Family Man" - The only Nicolas Cage movie that I really like. Sweet and funny at the same time.
.
"Gremlins" - Bizarre and fun. It is one of only a few of Spielberg's formula movies that holds up over time.
.
"National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" - Favorite bit that might get missed. When someone yells freeze, the camera pulls back and everyone in the room is holding their pose and if you blink you might miss that Beverly Di Angelo froze with her hand squeezing Chevy Chase's crotch. I laugh at that every time.
.
Discussion of other people's worst choice:
.
Many of the worst list on www.epinions.com were topped off with "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" or "Silent Night, Deadly Night."
.
"Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" is a lazy choice, because it was meant to bad. It had no aspirations of being a Christmas Classic. It was crap and it knew it. You should get a bunch of friends together and watch it as a double feature with "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes." Turn down the volume and make up your own dialog and you will laugh yourself silly.
.
"Silent Night, Deadly Night" is a slasher picture in the vein of "Halloween" or "Friday the 13th" and it was fairly well done for the genre. The killer wore a Santa Claus suit and everyone freaked out. For God's sake grow up. My guess is that the uptight people that put it on their list as the worst "Christmas" movie ever never saw it. Have a Halloween film festival some year and put this in the mix and I bet people will go crazy watching it. It is just stupid slasher fun.
.
.
.
Now my choice for WORST Christmas Picture Ever:
.
"Jingle All The Way"
.
Schwarzenegger + Comedy + Family Movie = VOMIT.
.
It is loud, crass & senseless.
,
When I saw this piece of garbage, it did not make me laugh, giggle or even grin one time.
.
Back then, I saw it for free at the Grand Opening of the new Mall Movie Theater and I still wanted my money back.
.
I still do.

No comments: