Sunday, December 28, 2008

The 2008 Silver Platterist of the Year: Cyndi Lauper


.

Grammy Award Winning Singer/Songwriter

Emmy Award Winning Actress

Human Rights Activist

Rainbow Warrior

,


Let’s start with the music. 

.

.

As I have previously stated in my other year end lists. Cyndi Lauper’s CD “Bring Ya To The Brink” is my favorite release of the year.  It is a dance music compilation that has smart and heartfelt lyrics. 

.

Cyndi stated when it was released, "This is an album that can be experienced in two completely different ways," It is a "dance album, one that you can move to and enjoy on a surface level. But if you want more than that, there's a lot to discover inside the lyrics. There are times when these songs get pretty deep." 

.

In the song Echo (my favorite song of the year by anyone) she describes a relationship and a life that seems routine and distant but at the bridge to the chorus she reassures that “Everyplace I go, though I never told you so, echo home” and the simple chorus shows that her love is eternal. “All of my days, all of my life, standing by you. All of my days, all of my life, I will find you.” 

.

On another dance song, Raging Storm, she sings about how the government and the media are hiding what is really important in the world with distractions and slight of hand. The stunning lyrics address everything from homelessness, civil liberties and the Iraq War. IE: “These are darker times for me. Behind smoke and mirrors – amputees. There’s a raging storm and a troubled sea, but you’re clouding my mind with celebrity.” 

.

The grammy nominated album is truly brilliant. 

It is one of the best in years.

.

.

 

The True Colors Tour

 

Last year Cyndi started the “True Colors Tour.” 2008 was the 2nd annual month long event, where Cyndi and many other gay or gay friendly musicians and comedians tour the country promoting support and raising funds for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community. The goal of equality is at the heart of True Colors. From day one, the tour has sought to raise awareness about the discrimination the GLBT community still faces and to provide concert goers with the information and tools they need to make a difference. 

.

/

Cyndi has had a huge gay following from the beginning of her career, but her support and love of the gay community is in response to the love she feels for her gay sister and other friends that are from the GLBT community. She feels that everyone deserves the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and has always been very vocal about how she doesn’t understand how people can be so cruel to their fellow man.

 

The tour is named after the song she wrote for her friend. The song has become an anthem for people that cherish and support the GLBT loved ones in their life.

 

True Colors

By: Cyndi Lauper

 

You with the sad eyes
Don't be discouraged
Oh, I realize
It's hard to take courage
In a world full of people
You can lose sight of it all
And the darkness inside you
Can make you feel so small

But I see your true colors
Shining through
I see your true colors
And that's why I love you
So don't be afraid to let them show
Your true colors
True colors 
Are beautiful like a rainbow

Show me a smile then,
Don't be unhappy
Can't remember when
I last saw you laughing
If this world makes you crazy
And you've taken all you can bear
You call me up
Because you know I'll be there

And I'll see your true colors
Shining through
I see your true colors
And that's why I love you
So don't be afraid to let them show
Your true colors
Your true colors
Are beautiful like a rainbow


In the spring of 2008 Cyndi announced another project in support of the GLBT Community.

.

 

.

The True Colors Residence in NYC.

.

I will let Cyndi tell you about this amazing project herself. 

Here is a letter she posted on her website 

announcing the next part of her crusade of love and caring.

 .

Dear Friend,
In
New York City, a very disproportionate number (up to 40%), of homeless youth identify as GLBT. Even more disturbing are reports that these young people often face discrimination and at times physical assault in some at the very places they have to go for help. This is shocking and inexcusable!

.

That's why my manager, Lisa Barbaris and I are collaborating with Colleen Jackson and West End Intergenerational Residence to create the True Colors Residence, a permanent supportive housing program for homeless GLBT youth 18-24 years old.

.

We'll be building from the ground up so our residents will have a brand new, modern building with studio apartments for each resident and both indoor and outdoor community space to socialize or attend education and recreation programs. Each resident will be responsible for paying affordable rent based on their income and will receive ongoing assistance in obtaining employment best suited to their individual interests and skills. Although True Colors Residence will not require participation in its programs, a variety of social and educational support services will be available to all who request them. Our primary goal is to provide a physically and emotionally safe and supportive environment that will empower our young residents to be the self-loving, happy, and successful individuals they were meant to be.

 

I am proud to work with Colleen and West End on such an exciting and important project as the True Colors Residence and I ask for your support as we move forward.

.

Sincerely,

.

Cyndi Lauper

 

 If you’re lost

You can look

And you will find me

Time after time

 

If you fall

I will catch you

I’ll be waiting

Time after time

 

- Cyndi Lauper

.

.

Links to Cyndi's Sites

to read more about her

and support her crusades:


http://www.cyndilauper.com/index.php

http://intergenerational.org/truecolors.php

http://www.truecolorstour.com/


.

No comments: