Tuesday, April 21, 2009

King Tut In A King Sized Bed


Recovery Road 02
.
Last night I was getting ready for bed. I was so grateful to be sleeping in my own bed and Charley was too. He doesn't like it when I am not there next to him. It was also the first time that I have slept in a bed that was not adjustable since the attack. Since I only slept for small pockets of time while in the hospital, I was a little leery on how a night at home would go.
.
Would I get too hot?
Would I need to get up several times?
Would I need to sleep alone?
.
I still need my heart pillow to hold on my chest when I roll over to get up. So I got my pillow and got in bed. Charley was coming down the hall so I waited for him to come in before I reached for the light. Thinking back on how I looked when Charley came into the room is kind of crazy sounding now. I had the air conditioner blowing at full blast. I was laying under a flannel sheet with my arms crossed over my chest and my heart pillow squeezed tightly under them. I now have an image of discovering King's Tut's Tomb and when the people break through the last door expect to find gold and treasure. What they find is a wheezing old man, wrapped up in Ralph Lauren flannel sheets with a giant red heart as the jewel of his coffin.
.
.
When he finally got into bed I was laying on the edge of one side squeezing the heart pillow. I had pushed the down comforter and quilts to the middle off of me. They had unintentionally become a giant wall right down the middle of the bed. He was looking at me like, "Who is this crazy person?". He laid down and reached over the giant mass of blankets and lightly tapped my arm 3 times and said "Goodnight". Just like you see in the movies where some crazy person says something off the wall and the "sane" one pats them on the head 3 times and says, "Don't worry, everything is going to be alright."
.
I was just trying to make sure I could get up and out if I needed to.
.
After a little bit of chit chat about how much we missed being next to each other and good night kisses, we were both laying there in the dark and I was feeling less and less like a fool.
.
but I was wondering, if I would sleep at all.
.

1 comment:

ZenDenizen said...

I'm glad you were able to get the treatment you needed. Best wishes on your recovery.