Monday, November 10, 2008

For Laughter In A Time Of Simmering Anger

Hot Shit On A Silver Platter:
College Student & Writer
True McKee
.

.
I was once again reading articles about the passing of Prop 8 in California today. I have been doing my best to not blog about it, because my anger would overflow to the point where I would post something that I can not take back. (I had to delete the next five sentences because I went on a rant about a certain group in our society, and I am trying to be a better person than them)
.
Any ways ...
While reading numerous articles, I came across a column written by a college student in California. He was using satire to discuss how it was strange that California is 55 billion dollars in debt and that stopping gay marriage is the most important thing to get accomplished. Besides electing to treat up to 10 % of their residents as second class citizens, Californians also passed a law that states that chickens must be keep in bigger pens and must be treated more humanely.
.
Treat Chicken Humanely - Yes
Give Gay and Lesbians Basic Civil Rights - No
WOW, how very "Christian" of you.
.
Any ways...
In the article the writer was talking about the chicken versus gays parts and wrote a line that cracked me up and had me laughing so hard that I had tears in my eyes. You may not find it funny or see the point, but as frustrated and angry as I have been over the election and the passing of hateful, bigoted & Un-American laws, to find someone that could pull humor and laughter out of me was quite remarkable.
.
Quote:
.
"Let us rejoice that during this same election where Proposition 2 gave more humane treatment rights to chickens we will ensure that marriage will be constitutionally enshrined as a union of a heterosexual couple. Despite the fact that chickens are merely shit machines that happen to lay eggs, we have ensured their right to wander freely around in the tens-of-thousands in a grass less 10’x10’ enclosure."
"Despite the fact that chickens are merely shit machines that happen to lay eggs"
.
Now that is pretty funny, if you ask me.
.

.
Thank You True McKee, 
for bringing me out of my bitchy mood, 
if only for a moment.
.
The whole article can be read by clicking on the link below. I would like to add that the article was written as a satire and as satire is one of the hardest thing to accomplish correctly, this young college students did a excellent job. Most professional writers can not write satire without it sounding like they are trying too hard. Well done McKee.
.
http://www.dailynexus.com/article.php?a=17698
.

No comments: